School footballers return home as Arsenal champions
- Credit: Archant
Rotherfield Primary School beat off tough competition to take home the prestigious trophy
An Islington school football team were rewarded for their top scoring efforts as they beat off tough competition to win a prestigious tournament last Friday.
Year Six boys from Rotherfield Primary School, in Rotherfield Street, competed against other schools across Islington including Sacred Heart, Hungerford and Canonbury Primary schools to eventually emerge as Arsenal’s summer tournament boys champions.
In the early stages of the competition, both boys and girls played in the tournament in a series of mini-heats.
But it was the boy’s team that triumphed and played in the final at Arsenal’s community hub next to the Emirate’s Stadium in Drayton Park, which was opened in the spring to teach children football skills.
You may also want to watch:
The star players from Rotherfield Primary School’s winning team included Albert Morina, Lorik Luqpi, Jason Kurti, Jorden Peterson, Casey Christou and Martin Matete.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'