School footballers return home as Arsenal champions
- Credit: Archant
Rotherfield Primary School beat off tough competition to take home the prestigious trophy
An Islington school football team were rewarded for their top scoring efforts as they beat off tough competition to win a prestigious tournament last Friday.
Year Six boys from Rotherfield Primary School, in Rotherfield Street, competed against other schools across Islington including Sacred Heart, Hungerford and Canonbury Primary schools to eventually emerge as Arsenal’s summer tournament boys champions.
In the early stages of the competition, both boys and girls played in the tournament in a series of mini-heats.
But it was the boy’s team that triumphed and played in the final at Arsenal’s community hub next to the Emirate’s Stadium in Drayton Park, which was opened in the spring to teach children football skills.
You may also want to watch:
The star players from Rotherfield Primary School’s winning team included Albert Morina, Lorik Luqpi, Jason Kurti, Jorden Peterson, Casey Christou and Martin Matete.
- 1 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 2 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 3 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 4 Number of Islington opiate addicts seeking help doubles during lockdown
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 7 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 8 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 9 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 10 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants