Student union opens at London Metropolitan University as part of multi-million pound redevelopment project
- Credit: Archant
A multi-million pound redevelopment project has resulted in the opening of a new student union (SU) building at London Metropolitan University.
The refurbished space in the Harglenis building in the Holloway Road campus, which used to house London Met’s enquiries office, is now the SU after a £1.2million investment as part of London Met’s ‘one campus, one community’ initiative.
In addition to “state-of-the-art” office spaces, meeting rooms and workstations, the building also provides a new home for the university’s student radio station Verve Radio.
SU president Tunde Toki, speaking after the official opening of the new SU building in January, said: “We are so pleased with our new home. The new space has greatly strengthened the feeling of community among students and staff, as was demonstrated at our official opening.
“It has been a pleasure to work with the university on such an impactful project that is enhancing the student experience and allowing us to work more effectively together.”
You may also want to watch:
Project managers Overbury worked with colleagues from London Met and its SU to ensure that Harglenis is fitted with the latest kit. The building includes facilities such as digital screens, a kitchen, a lobby area with gaming facilities, and a disabled toilet.
Prof John Raftery, vice-chancellor of London Met, said: “We were delighted to support the creation of our SU’s new home in the Harglenis Building. This investment represents a key part of our masterplan, which is designed to enhance the student experience and improve student outcomes.
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 4 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
“We are proud of the work of our SU in representing and providing great services for our students and we want to ensure that they have the best possible environment to collaborate and enjoy student life here at London Met.”
The next phase of the project will see the opening of new suites and classrooms for all students and staff in the new building called ‘Roding’ in March.
The building, previously known as ‘C Block’, is an area of the Holloway campus that was formerly used as administrative offices.