Swimming champion Mark Foster teaches Islington children in crash course
- Credit: Archant
Swimming legend Mark Foster made a splash with Islington schoolchildren during a three-day crash course in the sport.
The former butterfly and freestyle champion and a team of coaches held a swimming camp with the Mark Foster Swimming Academy at Holloway School, Hilldrop Road, in partnership with the borough council’s leisure provider Aquaterra.
Some 60 young club level swimmers aged between 12 and 17 took part, with Aquaterra sponsoring four young athletes from the Anaconda Swimming Club, based at the Cally and Holloway pools, to also take part.
The five-time Olympian said: “The Mark Foster Swimming Academy had a very successful first swim camp in Islington. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the bright stars of the future.
“We hope all the children who took part had as much fun as we did and took away key skills from the sport”.
Donna Donovan, whose son Tommy swims competitively with Anaconda Swimming Club, said: “He said he really enjoyed the experience and felt very inspired by the world champion and coaching team.”
Denise Davy, Aquaterra Manager for Holloway School out of hours sports facilities, said: “Sponsoring talented young Islington swimmers to attend the swim camp was an excellent way for us to help bring the benefits of health and fitness to the communities we work with.
- 1 Islington's Tory councillor calls for low traffic neighbourhoods to be scrapped
- 2 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 3 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 4 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 5 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 6 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 7 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 8 Residents to quiz council over homes at Holloway Prison site
- 9 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 10 Remembering London's teenage homicide victims in 2021
“We’ve been delighted to have had the opportunity to work with a sportsman of Mark Foster’s calibre.”