Swimming champion Mark Foster teaches Islington children in crash course
- Credit: Archant
Swimming legend Mark Foster made a splash with Islington schoolchildren during a three-day crash course in the sport.
The former butterfly and freestyle champion and a team of coaches held a swimming camp with the Mark Foster Swimming Academy at Holloway School, Hilldrop Road, in partnership with the borough council’s leisure provider Aquaterra.
Some 60 young club level swimmers aged between 12 and 17 took part, with Aquaterra sponsoring four young athletes from the Anaconda Swimming Club, based at the Cally and Holloway pools, to also take part.
The five-time Olympian said: “The Mark Foster Swimming Academy had a very successful first swim camp in Islington. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the bright stars of the future.
“We hope all the children who took part had as much fun as we did and took away key skills from the sport”.
You may also want to watch:
Donna Donovan, whose son Tommy swims competitively with Anaconda Swimming Club, said: “He said he really enjoyed the experience and felt very inspired by the world champion and coaching team.”
Denise Davy, Aquaterra Manager for Holloway School out of hours sports facilities, said: “Sponsoring talented young Islington swimmers to attend the swim camp was an excellent way for us to help bring the benefits of health and fitness to the communities we work with.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 7 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 8 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
“We’ve been delighted to have had the opportunity to work with a sportsman of Mark Foster’s calibre.”