Tech City College given lowest Ofsted rating...again
- Credit: Archant
The woes of troubled Tech City College have continued with another scathing Ofsted report.
The college, in City Road, was labelled “inadequate”, the lowest possible ranking.
Only one year ago, it received the same rating under its previous guise as STEM Academy.
The Aspirations Academy Trust took over its running in September, renaming it Tech City College. But the report, published on Wednesday, said there has been no improvement.
It blasted “too much dull and uninspiring teaching”, poor pupil attendance and high teacher turnover.
You may also want to watch:
As reported in the Gazette, teachers held strikes at the end of last year, with Islington NUT claiming “excessive pressure” in staff.
The report said most teachers who started the academic year have now left, having a “negative impact on rates of improvement”.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
But it did acknowledge the new leadership team has “very swiftly changed the philosophy and ethos of the college, recognising the transformation that is required”.
The report also noted: “It is too soon to judge sufficient improvement.”
Vanessa Miner of the Aspirations Academy Trust, which runs the college, told the Gazette today: “We have been in charge since September when it was in a chaotic state.
“We are in the midst of our rapid improvement plan. That will inevitably lead to staff turnover and instability as we try to grasp with what needs to be done.
“The report supported the changes we are trying to make, but obviously it has to judge on the college at that moment in time.
“They – and we at the Aspirations Trust – fully expect the improvements to have been made by the next inspection.”