The Gruffalo author Julia Donaldson lays down reading challenge to Islington’s youngsters
The author who created children’s book The Gruffalo was at an Islington library to lay down an Olympic-themed reading challenge for youngsters.
Writer and Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson visited Lewis Carroll Library in Copenhagen Street, and read to pupils from Vittoria Primary School in Half Moon Crescent.
She officially launched this year’s Summer Reading Challenge which gives children, aged four to 12, a target of finishing six books in the holiday.
This year, they are encouraged to get into the Olympic spirit by reading stories from around the world – and those who reach the target will receive medals and certificates.
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for leisure and wellbeing, said: “Summer Reading Challenge is a fantastic way to get young children hooked on reading from a young age. And with so many cultural events happening across Islington linked to the Olympics this summer, it’s a good opportunity to introduce children to stories from all around the world.
“Last year nearly 800 children completed the challenge and we’re hoping for even higher numbers this year.”
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
Parents whose children are involved are being offered free library DVD rentals. The reading challenge runs across all Islington libraries until September 16.
n For more visit www.islington.gov.uk/libraries.