The Gruffalo author Julia Donaldson lays down reading challenge to Islington’s youngsters
The author who created children’s book The Gruffalo was at an Islington library to lay down an Olympic-themed reading challenge for youngsters.
Writer and Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson visited Lewis Carroll Library in Copenhagen Street, and read to pupils from Vittoria Primary School in Half Moon Crescent.
She officially launched this year’s Summer Reading Challenge which gives children, aged four to 12, a target of finishing six books in the holiday.
This year, they are encouraged to get into the Olympic spirit by reading stories from around the world – and those who reach the target will receive medals and certificates.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Janet Burgess, Islington Council’s executive member for leisure and wellbeing, said: “Summer Reading Challenge is a fantastic way to get young children hooked on reading from a young age. And with so many cultural events happening across Islington linked to the Olympics this summer, it’s a good opportunity to introduce children to stories from all around the world.
“Last year nearly 800 children completed the challenge and we’re hoping for even higher numbers this year.”
- 1 New nightclub Glam to open in Shoreditch in June
- 2 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 5 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 6 Crime plummeted in Islington during Covid pandemic, new figures reveal
- 7 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 8 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 9 David Dein: Former Arsenal chief shares top tips for success
- 10 Charity launches new campaign to eradicate food poverty in north London
Parents whose children are involved are being offered free library DVD rentals. The reading challenge runs across all Islington libraries until September 16.
n For more visit www.islington.gov.uk/libraries.