Theatre charity to perform virtual tour from new home in Islington library
- Credit: Archant
A storytelling theatre charity is set to capture audiences’ imaginations from an underused section of an Islington library.
Tall Stories had been seeking a home for many years before it partnered with Islington Council and moved into Central Library in September.
The space provides an administrative base, a large studio for rehearsals or performances and room for an audience of 80.
READ MORE: Plans to renovate Islington’s Central Library include space for children’s theatre charityA programme was scheduled to include free performances for Islington schools and residents, but this has changed in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
Instead, a play based on Julia Donaldson’s and Axel Scheffler’s book The Snail and the Whale will be livestreamed from the library space in interactive showings from October 24 to November 1.
Lucy Wood, executive director at Tall Stories Studio, said the library - “surrounded by stories” - seemed like the “perfect” place to set up shop as a storytelling production company.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be so nice to be performing again to families over October half term,” she added.
Each show will be linked to a different UK venue to create a virtual tour - The Pleasance Theatre on Carpenters Mews will be hosting a showing on October 26 at 11am.
- 1 Islington mum speaks out about blaze that wrecked her 17th storey Old Street flat
- 2 Meet Islington's 2021 civic award winners
- 3 Islington Council urges: 'Raise repairs before Partners hands back homes'
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 6 State-of-the-art £4m facility in pipeline for Islington Boxing Club
- 7 Man arrested after police officer hit by car in Dartmouth Park
- 8 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 9 Music production school leaves Abbey Road for move to Angel Studios
- 10 Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
Tall Stories’ production of The Snail and the Whale has toured around Canada, the USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and the UAE.
The charity is renting the space from the library as part of its partnership with Islington Council.