Theatre charity to perform virtual tour from new home in Islington library
- Credit: Archant
A storytelling theatre charity is set to capture audiences’ imaginations from an underused section of an Islington library.
Tall Stories had been seeking a home for many years before it partnered with Islington Council and moved into Central Library in September.
The space provides an administrative base, a large studio for rehearsals or performances and room for an audience of 80.
READ MORE: Plans to renovate Islington’s Central Library include space for children’s theatre charityA programme was scheduled to include free performances for Islington schools and residents, but this has changed in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
Instead, a play based on Julia Donaldson’s and Axel Scheffler’s book The Snail and the Whale will be livestreamed from the library space in interactive showings from October 24 to November 1.
Lucy Wood, executive director at Tall Stories Studio, said the library - “surrounded by stories” - seemed like the “perfect” place to set up shop as a storytelling production company.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be so nice to be performing again to families over October half term,” she added.
Each show will be linked to a different UK venue to create a virtual tour - The Pleasance Theatre on Carpenters Mews will be hosting a showing on October 26 at 11am.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 6 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 7 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
Tall Stories’ production of The Snail and the Whale has toured around Canada, the USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and the UAE.
The charity is renting the space from the library as part of its partnership with Islington Council.