‘Ugly grey’ sports hall will be ‘black cloud’ over Islington
FRUSTRATED residents say a new school sports hall which could be built in a conservation area looks like “an ugly big grey box”.
The design of the potential development at Hanover Primary School and Nursery in Noel Road, Islington, has been criticised by a number of nearby homeowners.
The hall will be attached to the listed school building and next to the Regent’s Canal.
Plans for the three-storey extension, which also include a new playground, are being considered by Islington Council’s planning committee tonight (Thursday) – and have been recommended for approval by council officers.
Oya Richardson, who lives in Noel Road, said: “This will be like a black cloud on our horizon. It is disgusting how the council could even begin to entertain having something which looks like a huge grey box next to the school. The design is grotesque.”
You may also want to watch:
Resident Helen O’Hanlon said: “We support the need for better facilities but this design is hideous. I had so many problems just changing the beads on a sash window because of the conservation area. It seems like one rule for us and another for the council.”
Aggrieved neighbours claim the design statement was not available to see online with the planning application until February 2 – a day before the consultation which started on January 11 was officially due to end.
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
Councillor Paul Convery, executive member for regeneration and leisure at Islington Council, said: “All comments will be received up until the date of the committee.”