University plans £130m redevelopment of Finsbury site
- Credit: Archant
City University is planning a major transformation with a £130m redevelopment of its buildings.
The centrepiece of the scheme will be a new landmark building in Sebastian Street, Finsbury.
With lecture theatres and study spaces, it will act as a research hub for the university’s postgraduate students – who make up more than a third of the student body.
Professor Richard Verrall, a vice-chancellor at the university in Northampton Square, Finsbury, said: “The university is committing significant investment to build new facilities to meet the changing nature of education and research, creating high-quality academic and social spaces.
“It will result in an environment of which staff, students and the local community can be justifiably proud.”
You may also want to watch:
The planned development, which was unveiled at a public consultation meeting in Finsbury Library, St John Street, includes moving the students’ union from Goswell Road to Spencer Street, Finsbury, and installing acoustic glazing – which should reduce the amount nearby residents are disturbed by noisy students.
There are also proposals to improve the pedestrian link between Spencer Street and Northampton Square, and to build a teaching building off Ashby Street, which will include a hospital ward, X-ray suites, speech and language laboratories and optometry labs.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 5 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
The university, which is already building a sports centre in Goswell Road, intends to submit a planning application to Islington Council in July.