What’s on in Islington this weekend
Our pick of the weekend’s action:
Reflect on a decade of war in Afghaninistan with Jane Shallice from Stop the War Coalition, from 6.30 to 9.30pm at the St Mary’s Community Centre, Upper Street, N1. Suggested donation of �1 per session. Call (020) 7713 9304.
Join Islington Boxing Club at their Dinner Boxing Show against the Irish Boxing Select at the Royal Oak Suite, Emirates Stadium, N7. Costs �80 for a table seat, or �10 standing (�15 on the door), call 07921 724601 for more information.
Enjoy a Royal College of Music Concert for the over 55s, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont project, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 0207 837 3402 for more information.
You may also want to watch:
Have a good time and raise money for charity at the Oxjam Islington Takeover with music, dance classes and a performance from legendary crooner Tony Christie, from 2pm at seven different venues along Upper Street, N1. Costs �6 (�9 on the day) for over 18s, �3 early bird tickets for under 18s, see www.oxjamislington.org.uk for more information.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 5 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 8 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
Watch a documentary about of influential choreographer, dancer and opera director Lucinda Childs before the woman herself gives a talk, from 5pm at the Barbican, Silk Street, EC2. Costs �10.50 (�9.50 online), call 0845 120 7527 for more information.
Cross and weave at this weekly knitting club led by wool enthusiast Charlene Sandy. From 11am to 12.30pm at the Old Fire Station, Mayton Street, N7. Free, call 07515647208 for more information.
Develop an effective technique at these Chi Kung sessions, every Sunday from 11am to 12noon at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday from 11.15am to 12.30am and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm at Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. For more information call 07973622240. Costs �10 per lesson or �40 for 5 lessons.
Take a blues dancing lesson and listen to Dave ‘Mad Dog’ Barnes plus RnB DJs in honour of the Book Club’s second birthday, from 6.45pm to 11pm at The Book Club, Leonard Street, EC2. Cost �2, call 020 7684 8618 for more information.
Heal yourself at these weekly reiki-share sessions from 5.30 to 7.30pm every Sunday and 7.30 to 9.30pm every Wednesday at Highbury Station Road, N1. For more information call 07957 423460.