What’s on in Islington this weekend
- Credit: Archant
The best of the weekend’s action:
Try a social club dedicated to older chaps, Friday Fellas, held from 11.30am to 4pm at Sotheby Mews Day Centre, Sotheby Mews, N5. Costs £3.50 (including lunch and an exercise class) call 020 7226 1421.
Don your black rollneck sweater and beret to hear the Maurizio Minardi Trio, featuring Jason Reeves and Nick Pini, play jazz units, from 9 to 11.30pm at Ajani Grill, Hornsey Road, N19. Costs £6 call 020 7272 5566.
Relish some quality tunes at a Royal College of Music concert, from 2 to 3pm at the Claremont Centre, White Lion Street, N1. Free, call 0207 837 3402.
Discuss Islington’s problems at a workshop on domestic violence against Middle Eastern women, also featuring a documentary film about honour violence in Iraqi Kurdistan, from 1.30 to 5pm at Hurlock Street, N5. Free, 07958 145666,
- 1 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 2 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 3 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 4 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 5 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 6 Siblings open community-oriented park coffee hut
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Schemes submitted or approved in Islington in June
- 8 Karate champion helps children to build confidence through martial arts
- 9 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
Find a bargain at a new indoor market and grab a pint while you browse, from noon to 4pm at the Dissenting Academy, Mildmay Park, N1. Free, call 020 7249 6430
Browse through some fresh, quality and speciality produce as the Cally Market returns after the Christmas break, from 9am to 5pm on Caledonian Road, N1. Visit www.thecallymarket.com.
Stroll like a Scandanavian at Nordic walking sessions for over 55s, from 2pm at the Drovers Centre , North Road, N7. Costs £2, call 07900 888 438.
Get some culture at the Know More festival, featuring art, live music and DJs, all day at Drink, Shop and Do, Caledonian Road, N1. Costs £10, call 07812 247 288.
Learn chi kung self defence. Every Sunday, from 11am to noon, at Providence Court, Upper Street, N1, every Saturday, from 11.15am to 12.30pm and every Friday from 6.45pm to 7.45pm, at the Unity Church, Upper Street, N1. Call 07973 622240. The class costs £10 per lesson or £40 for five.