Work begins on exciting extension at Islington school
WORK has now started on impressive new facilities at an Islington secondary school.
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Language College in Risinghill Street, Islington, held an official ground breaking ceremony this week to celebrate the start of construction work which is expected to last two years.
The school is going to build a new lecture theatre, performance and music spaces, ICT studios, a sports hall, art and design facilities, multi-purpose classrooms and a central piazza offering views down to St Pancras.
Councillor Richard Watts, Islington Council’s executive member for children and young people, said: “The ground breaking at the school is an important step towards providing the outstanding facilities that this school deserves.”
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Language School headteacher Jo Dibb said: “Ground breaking is a critical point as it signifies the moment when the new school we have all been dreaming about is brought to fruition.”
You may also want to watch:
The project is being funded through the Building Schools for the Future Fund, which has also supported the rebuilding of four other Islington schools - Highbury Grove, Samuel Rhodes Secondary, Holloway and St Aloysius’ College.
Islington Arts and Media School in Turle Road, Finsbury Park, has also received cash from the Building Schools for Future Fund for an extension and construction work has begun.
- 1 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
- 2 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 3 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 4 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 9 Islington's Holocaust Memorial Day 2021 event to go ahead online
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park