Electro-pop sisters from Finsbury wow the judges in open mic contest
A local sister duo has stormed into the regional finals of a national talent competition.
Performing under the band name Sheila McQueen, Finsbury residents Genevieve Arnold, 30, and sibling Jessica, 27, are hoping to kick-start their careers by reaching the national finals of Open Mic UK.
The pair, of Beech Street, will perform a rendition of Lana del Rey’s Video Games at the event on Saturday, having impressed the judges with an a capella cover of Phil Collins classic In the Air Tonight.
The competition culminates in a live final at the O2, with record labels, PR companies and radio DJs on the look-out for the next big thing.
Describing their style as electro-pop and taking inspiration from 1970s and 1980s legends such as David Bowie and Prince, as well as newer acts like La Roux, the sisters are hopeful about their chances.
Genevieve said: “You have to be, don’t you? We always do these things positively.”
Sheila McQueen’s video for their new single, Paris, has already attracted over 17,000 hits on video sharing website YouTube.
- 1 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 2 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 3 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 4 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 How mental health services are changing in north London
- 6 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 7 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 8 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Protesters march in final attempt to prevent incinerator contract