Electro-pop sisters from Finsbury wow the judges in open mic contest
A local sister duo has stormed into the regional finals of a national talent competition.
Performing under the band name Sheila McQueen, Finsbury residents Genevieve Arnold, 30, and sibling Jessica, 27, are hoping to kick-start their careers by reaching the national finals of Open Mic UK.
The pair, of Beech Street, will perform a rendition of Lana del Rey’s Video Games at the event on Saturday, having impressed the judges with an a capella cover of Phil Collins classic In the Air Tonight.
The competition culminates in a live final at the O2, with record labels, PR companies and radio DJs on the look-out for the next big thing.
Describing their style as electro-pop and taking inspiration from 1970s and 1980s legends such as David Bowie and Prince, as well as newer acts like La Roux, the sisters are hopeful about their chances.
You may also want to watch:
Genevieve said: “You have to be, don’t you? We always do these things positively.”
Sheila McQueen’s video for their new single, Paris, has already attracted over 17,000 hits on video sharing website YouTube.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller