Electro-pop sisters from Finsbury wow the judges in open mic contest
A local sister duo has stormed into the regional finals of a national talent competition.
Performing under the band name Sheila McQueen, Finsbury residents Genevieve Arnold, 30, and sibling Jessica, 27, are hoping to kick-start their careers by reaching the national finals of Open Mic UK.
The pair, of Beech Street, will perform a rendition of Lana del Rey’s Video Games at the event on Saturday, having impressed the judges with an a capella cover of Phil Collins classic In the Air Tonight.
The competition culminates in a live final at the O2, with record labels, PR companies and radio DJs on the look-out for the next big thing.
Describing their style as electro-pop and taking inspiration from 1970s and 1980s legends such as David Bowie and Prince, as well as newer acts like La Roux, the sisters are hopeful about their chances.
You may also want to watch:
Genevieve said: “You have to be, don’t you? We always do these things positively.”
Sheila McQueen’s video for their new single, Paris, has already attracted over 17,000 hits on video sharing website YouTube.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 3 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 4 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 5 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey