Emery powerless as Arsenal boss reveals club will deal with rebelling skipper Koscielny
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal boss Unai Emery says the club and not him will resolve the future of rebelling captain Laurent Koscielny, after he refused to travel on the Gunners’ pre-season US tour.
French defender Koscielny wants to leave north London on a free this summer, but the club are refusing to rip up his contract which has a year left to run.
Against the club's wishes, he decided not to travel on their pre-season tour, and Emery spoke about the situation after his Arsenal's 3-0 win over Colorado Rapids.
"He started training with us this pre-season and I spoke with him three times for his situation," he said.
"We wanted him to come with us on this tour but he decided to stay. Now it is a matter for the club and for the player.
You may also want to watch:
"He has one year left on his contract. For me as a coach he's an important player.
"Now it's one matter for him and the club. The club and him need to speak, they are speaking about his situation. I cannot say more than that.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
"I spoke with him before he came here and he decided to stay there.
"We spoke with a good spirit for both the team and him but this is his decision, only his decision. He's speaking only with the club."