Emery powerless as Arsenal boss reveals club will deal with rebelling skipper Koscielny
- Credit: Archant
Arsenal boss Unai Emery says the club and not him will resolve the future of rebelling captain Laurent Koscielny, after he refused to travel on the Gunners’ pre-season US tour.
French defender Koscielny wants to leave north London on a free this summer, but the club are refusing to rip up his contract which has a year left to run.
Against the club's wishes, he decided not to travel on their pre-season tour, and Emery spoke about the situation after his Arsenal's 3-0 win over Colorado Rapids.
"He started training with us this pre-season and I spoke with him three times for his situation," he said.
"We wanted him to come with us on this tour but he decided to stay. Now it is a matter for the club and for the player.
You may also want to watch:
"He has one year left on his contract. For me as a coach he's an important player.
"Now it's one matter for him and the club. The club and him need to speak, they are speaking about his situation. I cannot say more than that.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
"I spoke with him before he came here and he decided to stay there.
"We spoke with a good spirit for both the team and him but this is his decision, only his decision. He's speaking only with the club."