Emery praises Pepe as Arsenal’s club-record signing saves the day against Vitoria
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery was quick to praise Nicolas Pepe after the club’s record signing earned all three points in Thursday’s Europa League clash with Vitoria Guimaraes.
The Ivorian was introduced as a 75th minute substitute with the Gunners 2-1 down, and he turned the game on its head, scoring two free-kicks in the final 10 minutes to win the game.
It was the kind of performance that Arsenal fans have been waiting to see from Pepe after a slow start to life in England following his £72m summer move from Lille.
His boss Emery believes he is continuing to improve, saying: "Every player, usually, they need time to adapt.
"Pepe is a very good player and we believe in him, totally.
You may also want to watch:
"The way he's going, sometimes he feels better, sometimes it's with more difficulty on the pitch. It depends on the opponent.
"He's improving and tonight those two goals are really important for us first, and then secondly for him.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
"He's continuing the adaptation in his process and as soon as he can adapt, that's better for us."
Emery also revealed that Pepe was practicing free-kicks after training this week, and the extra work clearly paid off.
"We are very happy for him and for us because those two goals, from two set-pieces, were perfect," he said.
"He was trying a lot of set-piece shooting on the training ground last week and I was watching his shooting, because I was also positive in that situation."