Emily Thornberry backs Jeremy Corbyn - despite voting against him
- Credit: Archant
Islington South and Finsbury MP supported Yvette Cooper
Islington South and Finsbury MP Emily Thornberry this afternoon praised Jeremy Corbyn after winning the Labour Party leadership.
Mrs Thornberry, who voted for Yvette Cooper, told the Gazette: “I would really like to congratulate Jeremy on a fantastic grassroots campaign.
“The Labour Party is not about one person, or ego. Jeremy is our leader but we now have half a million members – that is Labour.
“I’m disappointed Yvette didn’t win but we move on and there’s no point sulking, as the public deserves an alternative to this terrible government.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Cllr Richard Watts, leader of Islington Council, said: “It’s a stunning victory for Jeremy and good news for Islington. When people look at Jeremy, they will see our borough as a diverse and inclusive community – a way of politics that is not about gain, but making a difference to the people.”
Some critics of Mr Corbyn believe Labour will be unelectable under his leadership. But a defiant Cllr Watts said: “I don’t buy that, at all. I don’t see any evidence. Today has showed that people are ready for something different, and not politics as usual. I think he will defy the critics. He speaks in ordinary language and will surprise people.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
As for Mr Corbyn’s commitment to his Islington North constituency, Cllr Watts added: “Jeremy and I had a lot of conversations over the summer and I have absolutely no doubt that he will still excel carrying out his constituency duties.”