Emily Thornberry reacts as Islington South calls for second Brexit referendum
- Credit: Archant
Members of Islington South and Finsbury Labour Party voted in narrow favour of a second Brexit referendum last night.
Emily Thornberry today told the Gazette she was “delighted” to have been involved in such a well-attended general meeting of her Constituency Labour Party (CLP), promising members she’ll keep their views in mind as the March 29 Brexit deadline approaches.
She also made clear her feelings about the Independent Group in Parliament, formed after eight Labour MPs and three Tories defected from their parties this week.
In reference to the meeting, the MP and shadow foreign secretary told this paper: “I re-stated my total commitment to the policy unanimously agreed by the national membership at Labour’s conference in Liverpool [in September], which includes the option of going back to the British people for a public vote if a second election cannot be secured.
“The general committee [of the CLP] agreed their own resolution backing that option, and I will bear the clear views of my members in mind as events unfold in Westminster in the coming days.”
You may also want to watch:
Pressed on formation of the Independent Group, Ms Thornberry told the Gazette: “A new party that is explicitly designed to divide the Labour Party and split the vote on the left will only do one thing, which is guaranteeing the Tories stay in power for another generation.”
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 6 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 9 Islington dog stars in film that will be shown at London Film Festival
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London