EuroMillions win means shopkeeper, 53, can buy his first London home
- Credit: Ady Kerry
A lucky upholsterer has a foot on the housing ladder after decades of renting – thanks to a £300,000 EuroMillions win.
Mehmet Ozer, 53, who has run Classic Upholstery in Islington for three decades, will use the cash to buy a new home.
After buying his ticket in the Co-op across the road from his Caledonian Road shop, he only remembered to check the numbers the day after the draw was made on January 29.
Mehmet, who moved his premises over from Holloway Road in November, said: “I was having a quiet morning getting ready to head off to the workshop when I remembered my EuroMillions ticket. Using my iPhone I looked up the winning numbers.
“I just couldn’t believe my eyes when they matched. I stood up, then lay down, stood up again, screamed loudly and went out on the balcony to get some fresh air.”
You may also want to watch:
This outpouring was before Mehmet had even checked the amount he had won.
“Once I had taken in that I had matched so many numbers I then checked the prize breakdown,” he said. “I saw that six other people in the UK had matched and that we were each walking away with £303,465.20 - and then I started to scream with joy again.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
“It’s fabulous to know that there are five others who will also be celebrating a win the same as mine.”
Despite having learnt of his life-changing win just minutes earlier, Mehmet set off for work as usual.
He wasted no time in booking a weekend away in Rome, but is now looking to secure his future in his adopted city.
“I’m originally from Turkey,” he said, “but London has been my home for more than 30 years, so I have no intention of leaving.
“Until now I have always rented, but this EuroMillions win means I can finally buy my own home in the city that I love so much. It’s simply magical.”