EuroMillions win means shopkeeper, 53, can buy his first London home
- Credit: Ady Kerry
A lucky upholsterer has a foot on the housing ladder after decades of renting – thanks to a £300,000 EuroMillions win.
Mehmet Ozer, 53, who has run Classic Upholstery in Islington for three decades, will use the cash to buy a new home.
After buying his ticket in the Co-op across the road from his Caledonian Road shop, he only remembered to check the numbers the day after the draw was made on January 29.
Mehmet, who moved his premises over from Holloway Road in November, said: “I was having a quiet morning getting ready to head off to the workshop when I remembered my EuroMillions ticket. Using my iPhone I looked up the winning numbers.
“I just couldn’t believe my eyes when they matched. I stood up, then lay down, stood up again, screamed loudly and went out on the balcony to get some fresh air.”
You may also want to watch:
This outpouring was before Mehmet had even checked the amount he had won.
“Once I had taken in that I had matched so many numbers I then checked the prize breakdown,” he said. “I saw that six other people in the UK had matched and that we were each walking away with £303,465.20 - and then I started to scream with joy again.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 9 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 10 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
“It’s fabulous to know that there are five others who will also be celebrating a win the same as mine.”
Despite having learnt of his life-changing win just minutes earlier, Mehmet set off for work as usual.
He wasted no time in booking a weekend away in Rome, but is now looking to secure his future in his adopted city.
“I’m originally from Turkey,” he said, “but London has been my home for more than 30 years, so I have no intention of leaving.
“Until now I have always rented, but this EuroMillions win means I can finally buy my own home in the city that I love so much. It’s simply magical.”