EuroMillions win means shopkeeper, 53, can buy his first London home
- Credit: Ady Kerry
A lucky upholsterer has a foot on the housing ladder after decades of renting – thanks to a £300,000 EuroMillions win.
Mehmet Ozer, 53, who has run Classic Upholstery in Islington for three decades, will use the cash to buy a new home.
After buying his ticket in the Co-op across the road from his Caledonian Road shop, he only remembered to check the numbers the day after the draw was made on January 29.
Mehmet, who moved his premises over from Holloway Road in November, said: “I was having a quiet morning getting ready to head off to the workshop when I remembered my EuroMillions ticket. Using my iPhone I looked up the winning numbers.
“I just couldn’t believe my eyes when they matched. I stood up, then lay down, stood up again, screamed loudly and went out on the balcony to get some fresh air.”
You may also want to watch:
This outpouring was before Mehmet had even checked the amount he had won.
“Once I had taken in that I had matched so many numbers I then checked the prize breakdown,” he said. “I saw that six other people in the UK had matched and that we were each walking away with £303,465.20 - and then I started to scream with joy again.
- 1 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 2 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 3 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 4 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 9 Arteta should drop Willian after another miserable performance
- 10 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
“It’s fabulous to know that there are five others who will also be celebrating a win the same as mine.”
Despite having learnt of his life-changing win just minutes earlier, Mehmet set off for work as usual.
He wasted no time in booking a weekend away in Rome, but is now looking to secure his future in his adopted city.
“I’m originally from Turkey,” he said, “but London has been my home for more than 30 years, so I have no intention of leaving.
“Until now I have always rented, but this EuroMillions win means I can finally buy my own home in the city that I love so much. It’s simply magical.”