EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal legend Bob Wilson on Bukayo Saka’s potential and best position
- Credit: PA
In an exlcusive interview with the Islington Gazette, Arsenal legend Bob Wilson revealed he has been telling people to keep an eye on Bukayo Saka for a number of years and is excited to see if the Gunners youngster can fulfil his potential.
Saka has had a breakthrough campaign at the Emirates, with the 18-year-old playing 25 games across all competitions, scoring three goals and assisting eight - more than any of his team-mates.
Wilson revealed that he has been tipping Arsenal fans off about the Englishman's potential for a number of years, telling the Islington Gazette: "People have been talking to me about him for the past two years, about his potential.
"I've been saying to people to keep an eye on him. I have great hopes for him."
Saka has been asked to play at left-back by Arteta following injuries to Kieran Tierney and Sead Kolasinac, and he has impressed despite being out of position.
You may also want to watch:
Wilson believes he is better suited in his natural position on the wing though, with the former goalkeeper raising concerns over his height.
"It scares me a bit when he's at the back because he's quite short and if a ball is heaved into the box and you up against someone big you aren't going to win it," he said.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
"His best position is further forward."
Another youngster has also caught Wilson's eye this season, with the 78-year-old adding: "I'm very impressed by Joe Willock's attitude so I'm really interested in him."