EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal legend Seaman wants competition for Gunners number one Leno
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Arsenal legend David Seaman wants Unai Emery bring in another goalkeeper to act as competition for number one Bernd Leno.
The German - who moved to the Emirates from Bayer Leverkusen last summer - battled it out with Petr Cech to be first choice goalkeeper in the early days of Emery's reign, before eventually making the position his own.
With Cech having retired at the end of the campaign, the Gunners are in need of a new second choice shot stopper.
Emiliano Martinez has reportedly decided to stay at the club after impressing on loan at Reading, but Seaman believes the club need a more experienced back up option.
Speaking exclusively to Islington Arsenal reporter Dan Mountney, Seaman said: "I think Emery will bring in someone else to challenge Leno.
You may also want to watch:
"If you look at the goalkeepers underneath him, they haven't got a lot of experience especially at this level.
"They've been out on loan so it will be difficult for them, especially if Leno got a long-term injury.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 6 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
"Maybe they might be looking at bringing someone in who has a little bit more experience, but who do you bring in? Do you look at someone like Joe Hart or Jack Butland?
"The thing is, you are going to have to bring in someone experienced who is going to be happy to be number two, and there is not many of them around."
Leno has also been given Cech's number one shirt for the 2019/20 season, after wearing 19 in his first campaign in north London.
Seaman thinks the number change will be important for Leno, adding: "Psychologically it will be big for him.
"He's got the number one on his back and has something to prove.
"I always wanted to have the number one on my back because you know you are first choice, so I think it will be big for him."