EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal legend Sol Campbell praises Gunners boss Unai Emery as hunt for top four spot and Europa League title hots up
- Credit: Archant
Islington Gazette sports reporter Dan Mountney spoke exclusively to Arsenal Invincible Sol Campbell, who believes a top four finish and winning the Europa League would be a fantastic season for Unai Emery’s Gunners.
Campbell, currently in charge of League Two side Macclesfield, joined Arsenal from North London rivals Tottenham in 2001, winning both the Premier League and FA Cup twice before leaving for Portsmouth in 2006.
He returned the Gunners in 2010, playing a further 11 times to take his appearance total to 210.
The 44-year-old admitted that he still follows the club and has been impressed with Unai Emery, who took over when Arsene Wenger – Campbell’s former boss – when he ended his 22-year reign at the club last summer.
“Of course, I still follow Arsenal,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“For me, it’s obviously difficult when a new manager comes in, but he’s done really well.
“The Europa League is going really well, the last result was fantastic so that puts them in a good position. I know he won it three times on the bounce with Sevilla.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
“I think that’s really good for the lads, to have that type of trophy to go for.
“Top four is still a possibility, so if he gets that and gets the Europa League that’s a fantastic season for Arsenal.”
Arsenal face Newcastle United at the Emirates tonight, knowing a win would see them climb to third in the Premier League table, above Manchester United and Spurs.