Arsenal v Everton: Nigel Winterburn hails Unai Emery as he previews Premier League clash at the Emirates
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal defensive legend Nigel Winterburn has been speaking to the Islington Gazette ahead of the Premier League match with
Arsenal host Everton at the Emirates on Sunday with Unai Emery’s side going into the game with four wins on the bounce.
The Gunners sit in ninth place but only three points off Spurs in fifth with the Lilywhites having played a game more.
Emery’s team are still a work in progress but have shown excellent promise during their four consecutive victories and Arsenal legend has been impressed with the former PSG boss.
Speaking to the Islington Gazette in association with Play With A Legend Winterburn said: “I think when you’re trying to establish something you are going to be assessed very quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“The intensity of training has gone up a notch. People are constantly assessing Arsenal.
“We are in a period where it’s going to take a bit of time to get to exactly where we want to be but along that way if you can put a run of results together it brings confidence to the team and I think it helps the manager.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 7 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
“It shows the players that they can believe in what they’re doing a lot more. It’s so important.”
Henrikh Mkhitaryan will be assessed after hurting his ankle in Arsenal’s 4-2 Europa League victory over Vorskla on Thursday evening while Lucas Torreira suffered a knock to the knee during the same match, even if Emery is confident the former Sampdoria man will be fit.
Everton have had a mixed start and are 12th with only one victory out of the last five.
Everton defender Yerry Mina could make his debut after overcoming a foot issue as highly-rated attacker Richarlison returns from suspension.
Defenders Seamus Coleman and Phil Jagielka are both injured along with midfielder Andre Gomes.
Michael Keane is back in training following a hairline skull fracture, although this game may come too soon for the tough centre-back.
Nigel Winterburn was speaking at a Play With A Legend event.
For more information about Play With A Legend visit their website www.playwithalegend.com/arsenalhub and follow them on Twitter and Instagram @playwithalegend.