Fake letters trying to “incite hatred” towards Finsbury Park Mosque
- Credit: Archant
Police are investigating hoax preach letters claiming to be from Finsbury Park Mosque.
The fake letters have been posted around the area and encourage residents to “discover Islam”.
In its latest newsletter, released last week, Highbury West Police said it was a deliberate attempt to “incite racial hatred”.
And Mohammed Kozbar, the mosque’s chairman of 10 years, said: “We had a couple of calls from residents who received the letters, which had our logo. But it’s quite obviously forged and unprofessional.
“They [the perpetrators] are trying to make people think the mosque is asking them to become Muslims. I’d be frustrated if I picked up this letter myself, and can only imagine how non-Muslims would feel.
You may also want to watch:
“With the recent events in Paris, people are angry. We are angry. Letters like this only inflame the situation.
“They want to damage community and faith relations in Finsbury Park, and they want to damage our mosque.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Arsenal Women player of the season award nominations
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Anyone with information is asked to call Highbury West Police on 101, or email email@example.com