Families angry after ‘iconic’ Toffee Park youth club shut by council
- Credit: Archant
Parents have claimed a popular youth club has been shut by Islington Council without consultation.
Toffee Park Youth Project, in Ironmonger Row, Finsbury, will shut tomorrow (Friday) and relocate to the nearby Spectrum Youth Project.
But shocked residents claimed they only found out about the plans last week.
Nicky Ludgate, 43, who used to live across from the club in Bath Street, helped organise a protest on Wednesday last week. She said: “This has sent shockwaves through the community. Everyone’s so angry as there was no consultation, so there was no scope for us to do something about it.
“It was only by chance that we found out, when a youth worker mentioned it to one of the mums last Monday. It’s such a shame because it’s an iconic youth club.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Ludgate, now of Essex Road, added: “It feels like it has been here forever. I am 43 and I went there as an 11-year-old when it was new. We used it, our children used it and recently other people’s grandchildren have been using it. There’s so much disbelief and sadness.”
Cllr Joe Calouri, executive member for children and families, said: “All young people attending Toffee Park will be fully supported in transferring their membership across to Spectrum. Many of those who use Toffee Park already belong to Spectrum anyway.“In the long term, we hope to build an even bigger and better centre in Old Street. We would like to offer young people not just facilities to entertain them, but proper support to help them get the jobs they want and deserve, and become active citizens in their community.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
Toffee Park Adventure Playground will remain open.