Family of Islington cab driver killed by falling building speak of their grief
- Credit: Archant
The family of a cab driver who died when a building collapsed on her car have spoken of their grief a week on from the incident.
Julie Sillitoe, 49, from Finsbury, had parked her Skoda Octavia in High Holborn at around 11pm on Friday, February 14, when concrete masonry fell onto the vehicle.
The licensed mini cab driver was trapped in the car with her two passengers and was pronounced dead after firefighters released her.
A post-mortem found the cause of death to be multiple injuries and an inquest was opened an adjourned at St Pancras Coroners’ Court.
Today, Mrs Sillitoe’s family paid tribute to the emergency services for their efforts following the devastating accident.
They said: “We would like to thank the emergency services for their prompt response following the tragic events.
“Our family would also like to offer thanks to the Metropolitan Police Service for their continued support.
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 Plea date set for man accused of Sabita Thanwani killing
- 3 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 International food festival coming to Islington this month
- 6 'Mistrust and fear' of services fuelling Islington BAME employment gap, research finds
- 7 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Young stars of the design world celebrated at awards
- 10 Call to get vaccinated amid Covid surge
“We as a family are still very much grieving, but take some comfort from the hundreds of kind messages from friends and public.
“Moving forward the results of the investigation and inquest will hopefully provide some answers for us.
“Our thoughts are also with the passengers of the vehicle, we wish them a speedy recovery and they are in our thoughts and prayers.”
The two passengers – a 25-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman – were taken to hospital and their conditions are not thought to be life threatening.
Ten people were evacuated from nearby buildings as a precaution.
Camden Police are investigating the incident.