Family reunited after 40 years
AN ISLINGTON woman has been reunited with her long-lost cousin after 40 years – just hours after he appealed to Gazette readers for help in tracing his family. Clive Coward, 57, of Rochester, in Kent, was gobsmacked when his cousin Joyce, 64, of the Eltho
AN ISLINGTON woman has been reunited with her long-lost cousin after 40 years - just hours after he appealed to Gazette readers for help in tracing his family.
Clive Coward, 57, of Rochester, in Kent, was gobsmacked when his cousin Joyce, 64, of the Elthorne Estate, off St John's Way, Archway, phoned him up after decades without contact last Friday.
He had published a plea for help in tracing his estranged family, whose Holloway roots he had traced back 140 years, on last Thursday's Gazette letters' page.
Mr Coward, who decided to try and re-establish contact after his father Ron passed away aged 83 last month, has also been put back in touch with his other cousin Sandra.
You may also want to watch:
She has since moved out of the borough and now lives just 30 miles away from Mr Coward in Ashford, also in Kent.
He said: "I spoke to them both last night, it's fantastic! The Elthorne Estate is not far from where my grandparents lived. I just had a feeling something would happen.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 7 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 8 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
"I've done research into my family history and my great-great grandparents lived in Holloway in the 1870s. They had 14 people living in one house. He may well have read the Gazette himself! I'm really pleased, thank you."
Mr Coward will be reunited in person with his long-lost cousins at a family meal next month.