Famous Islington puppet theatre appoints new artistic director
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s famous puppet theatre has appointed a new artistic director.
The role at the Little Angel Theatre has been filled by Adam Bennett, a veteran puppeteer and deviser with over 20 years of experience in the business.
Mr Bennett, a founder of DNA Puppetry and Visual Theatre who has toured all over the world, is currently manager of the Western Australian Youth Theatre Company.
He will be relocating to London and starts his role with the company in January.
He said: “I’ve had the privilege and honour of being associated with, and inspired by, Little Angel Theatre for 23 years since discovering the theatre in London in 1990, meeting founders John and Lyndie Wright, Christopher Leith and others, hanging around as a keen young performer and getting involved as a puppeteer.
“I’m looking forward to continuing to increase innovation and excellence, attracting the best artists worldwide, honouring the traditions of the 50-year history and the amazingly talented artists who have contributed to making this theatre great, and collaborating with an engaged public on the development of a vibrant and relevant artistic programme.”
He will also be chief executive at the company.
- 1 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 6 'We've still not had Christmas cards': Royal Mail apologises as post backlog hits Islington
- 7 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 8 Holloway BHF pleads for volunteers to help it stay open
- 9 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 10 Ironmonger Row Baths have reopened for these activities
Lynette Shanbury, executive director at the theatre, said: “We are very excited to welcome Adam.”