Fears of Archway decline as 170 Government jobs leave the Tower
ISLINGTON Council fears a plan to move 170 civil servants from Archway to Birmingham could impact the local economy because of the loss of skilled government workers.
The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), which supervises the financial affairs of people with mental health problems, is being relocated from Archway Tower to Birmingham.
Islington Council leader councillor Catherine West has now written to Kenneth Clarke MP, Lord Chancellor & Secretary of State for Justice, asking him to reconsider the move.
She said: “You will be aware that Islington has high levels of poverty and has been hit hard by the economic downturn with increasing numbers of residents out of work. Archway is one of our priority areas for regeneration, yet this move and the loss of so many local jobs will inevitably have a damaging impact on the local shops, restaurants and amenities.
“I urge you to look again at this planned relocation and find an alternative that would protect the quality of this valuable service and its dedicated workforce.”
You may also want to watch:
Hak Huseyin, chairman of the Archway Town Centre Management Group, said: “I’m hearing every day from local businesses worried about the impact of the OPG leaving Archway. Restaurants and cafes that rely on lunchtime trade for a large share of their turnover are particularly concerned. It is vital that we retain office-based staff who contribute so much to the local economy.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 5 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 8 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 9 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 10 Two men jailed for life after double murder