Fears of Archway decline as 170 Government jobs leave the Tower
ISLINGTON Council fears a plan to move 170 civil servants from Archway to Birmingham could impact the local economy because of the loss of skilled government workers.
The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), which supervises the financial affairs of people with mental health problems, is being relocated from Archway Tower to Birmingham.
Islington Council leader councillor Catherine West has now written to Kenneth Clarke MP, Lord Chancellor & Secretary of State for Justice, asking him to reconsider the move.
She said: “You will be aware that Islington has high levels of poverty and has been hit hard by the economic downturn with increasing numbers of residents out of work. Archway is one of our priority areas for regeneration, yet this move and the loss of so many local jobs will inevitably have a damaging impact on the local shops, restaurants and amenities.
“I urge you to look again at this planned relocation and find an alternative that would protect the quality of this valuable service and its dedicated workforce.”
You may also want to watch:
Hak Huseyin, chairman of the Archway Town Centre Management Group, said: “I’m hearing every day from local businesses worried about the impact of the OPG leaving Archway. Restaurants and cafes that rely on lunchtime trade for a large share of their turnover are particularly concerned. It is vital that we retain office-based staff who contribute so much to the local economy.”
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 5 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 6 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 7 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 8 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital