'Exploding bike charger sparked Finsbury Park fire', say investigators

Marriott Road, where the e bike fire broke out in a three-storey house

Marriott Road, where the fire broke out in a three-storey house - Credit: Google

A fire in Finsbury Park was caused by an exploding bike charger, according to the London Fire Brigade. 

Six people had to flee the blaze on May 11, which left the three-storey house in Marriott Road uninhabitable.

Much of the ground floor and part of the first floor were damaged, and a woman had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire investigators think the fire was accidental and caused by a lithium ion battery pack used to charge an electric bicycle.

Raising money on a Gofundme crowdfunding page, the victim's friend said that the house had been 'ravaged by fire due to the explosion of a battery on charge from one of his room mates'. 

"The house is now unliveable and many of his possessions are lost," he said. 

"Whilst home and contents will cover a degree of the losses he has incurred due to the fire in his flat, there are ultimately unrecoverable costs such as insurance excesses, moving costs, and inflated general living expenses attributed to not having access to appliances."

To donate see bit.ly/2QuNxIU.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus