Neighbour pays tribute to ‘quiet, kind and senstive’ mother who died in Finsbury Park flat fire
- Credit: Archant
A neighbour today paid tribute to the “kind and sensitive” mother who has died from burns sustained in a Finsbury Park flat fire.
Kaltoun Saleh, 43, who died on Tuesday, was taken to a north London hospital after the blaze started in her flat at Noll House, Corker Way, on July 5.
Ms Saleh was later transferred to a specialist burns unit. In the wake of her death this week, police have launched a murder investigation.
One of her immediate neighbours, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity, said: “She was a good person and they are a nice family.”
They added: “She was very quiet, kind and sensitive and always looked after her children.”
You may also want to watch:
Multiple neighbours also said there was a police presence outside the flat for weeks after the incident.
Emergency services, including two fire crews, were called to the blaze on the Andover Estate at about 2.50pm on July 5.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Four kids were also taken to hospital for precautionary checks, but they were not seriously injured.
Abdi Quule, 42, also of Noll House, Corker Walk, was discovered at the scene of the fire and treated for burns at hospital.
He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and charged on August 4, appearing in custody at Highbury Magistrates’ court the same day. He was remanded in custody and is due to appear at the Old Bailey on Thursday.
Did you know Ms Saleh? E-mail Lucas Cumiskey at the Gazette news desk: firstname.lastname@example.org