Finsbury Park gets facelift to attract more shoppers
- Credit: Archant
Town hall bosses are investing in Finsbury Park’s high streets to attract more shoppers.
They are helping transform shop fronts in Stroud Green Road, Blackstock Road and Fonthill Road.
Opera, a women’s special occasion clothes shop in Fonthill Road, is the first of 20 to receive a facelift, with all works due to finish in January.
Owner Vava Mouhtari said: “I think the work to improve the look of the area is very good. People in Fonthill Road have noticed the difference.”
Finsbury Park Cllr Asima Shaikh, who is also Islington’s economic development leader, said: “Finsbury Park is a fantastic area with a huge amount to offer. We’re making significant investment to improve facilities and also preserve the area’s unique heritage.
You may also want to watch:
“Local businesses play a vital part in what gives Finsbury Park its flavour. The shop front scheme is helping to give the streets a lift and will help to bring more visitors and shoppers.”
Meanwhile, Cllr Shaikh has urged people to shop local at the weekend: “Small Business Saturday is coming up on December 3 and I encourage everyone to go out and support their local shops and traders.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
For more information, see FinsburyParkLondon.co.uk