Finsbury Park gets facelift to attract more shoppers
- Credit: Archant
Town hall bosses are investing in Finsbury Park’s high streets to attract more shoppers.
They are helping transform shop fronts in Stroud Green Road, Blackstock Road and Fonthill Road.
Opera, a women’s special occasion clothes shop in Fonthill Road, is the first of 20 to receive a facelift, with all works due to finish in January.
Owner Vava Mouhtari said: “I think the work to improve the look of the area is very good. People in Fonthill Road have noticed the difference.”
Finsbury Park Cllr Asima Shaikh, who is also Islington’s economic development leader, said: “Finsbury Park is a fantastic area with a huge amount to offer. We’re making significant investment to improve facilities and also preserve the area’s unique heritage.
“Local businesses play a vital part in what gives Finsbury Park its flavour. The shop front scheme is helping to give the streets a lift and will help to bring more visitors and shoppers.”
Meanwhile, Cllr Shaikh has urged people to shop local at the weekend: “Small Business Saturday is coming up on December 3 and I encourage everyone to go out and support their local shops and traders.”
- 1 Arsenal begin pre-season in strong position
- 2 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 3 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 4 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 5 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 8 Protest erupts at the North London Waste Authority re-election meeting
- 9 Man charged with 1974 murder of woman found in Highbury
- 10 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
For more information, see FinsburyParkLondon.co.uk