Finsbury Park group tries to block Wireless Festival 2016 after last year’s trouble
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
The Friends of Finsbury Park group is trying to put a stop to this summer’s Wireless Festival.
Last year’s event in the park was marred by trouble, including a group trying to storm the entrance fences.
The park lies in Haringey borough, just outside the Islington boundary. Haringey Council is currently considering an application by organisers Festival Republic to hold the festival between July 8-10: even though tickets went on sale on Friday.
The Friends group has formally objected to Haringey, saying: “There were serious safety issues when hundreds of gatecrashers stormed the barriers, residents complained of excessive noise, disruption, and antisocial behaviour in streets surrounding the park.
“The event also caused severe damage to the fabric of Finsbury Park, destroying the grass areas where Wireless was held, with thousands of pairs of feet turning them into dusty scrubland which stayed ruined for months.”
You may also want to watch:
A Haringey Council spokeswoman said: “We are considering all responses to the stakeholder consultation before making a decision on this application.
“Haringey Council work closely with the Finsbury Park events stakeholder group - which includes the Friends of Finsbury Park - when planning for events to ensure that they run as smoothly and safely as possible and the safety of people attending, as well as nearby residents, is always our top priority.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green