Finsbury Park neighbourhood adds a feel good soundtrack to Clap for our Carers applause
- Credit: Naomi Clark
A Finsbury Park neighbourhood has been blasting 60s and 70s feel good tunes through their streets every Thursday night to accompany the thunderous weekly clap for our carers heard across the nation.
Finsbury Park’s mutual aid group first got the idea to add a feel good soundtrack to the applause on April 9. About 500 members agreed to broadcast the late Bill Withers’ track Lean on Me from their doorsteps and windows.
Group member Kara Mukerjee told the Gazette: “It was both a tribute to the late great Bill Withers, but also naturally a tribute to our wonderful NHS & community.”
Since then they have played pertinent classics like James Taylor’s You Got A Friend and Joe Cocker’s With A Little Help From My Friends.
This week (May 7) residents will be clapping to All You Need is Love by the Beatles.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a great hit and the whole neighbourhood has decided to take it forward over the coming weeks,” said Kara.
- 1 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 2 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 7 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 8 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 9 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 10 Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients