Arsenal Women earn Champions League win in Florence
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Arsenal Women started their Champions League campaign with a 4-0 win away at ACF Fiorentina on Thursday night.
It was a night that saw Leah Williamson make her 100th start for the club and Vivienne Miedema return to the starting line-up after missing Sunday's WSL win over West Ham United.
And the Gunners created the first chance on 13 minutes when Leonie Maier unleashed a powerful drive just over the crossbar from range.
It was the returning Miedema who grabbed the first goal after she took a superb first touch before staying composed to slot past Francesca Duarte in the Fiorentina goal on 17 minutes.
Arsenal were rarely threatened but midway through the first half Tatiana Bonetti hit the side-netting after skipping her way into the area.
You may also want to watch:
Joe Montemurro saw his side double their advantage when Miedema flicked the ball on to captain Kim Little who hit a quick snapshot into the far corner of the net past the outstretched Duarte.
And Little then had a strike ruled out for offside as the first period was nearing its conclusion when she got on the end of a pass from Beth Mead.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
The second half began the way the first had ended with Arsenal on top and Miedema scored her second goal of the game as she took advantage of a calamitous back pass from Janni Arnth, who was making her first appearance against the Gunners since leaving the club last month.
Four minutes later it was 4-0 when Mead drove forward before clipping in a cross for Miedema who was beaten to the ball by Stephanie Breitner, before the ball fell kindly for Lisa Evans who has impressed in the opening two games to bullet home a volley at the back post.
Miedema was substituted with just over half-an-hour to go as Manchester United await the Gunners in a mouthwatering WSL clash on Monday night.
Danielle van de Donk then also had a goal ruled out for offside as the visitors had their Italian opponents camped in their own half.
Jordan Nobbs could also have added a late fifth when she headed wide a cross from Evans from close range.
Arsenal: Zinsberger, Maier, Beattie, Williamson, McCabe, Roord, Van De Donk, Little, Evans, Miedema, Mead.