Fire at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium
Flames tore through part of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium in the early hours of this morning.
Two security guards discovered the blaze in a kitchen at around 2am and initially tried to tackle the flames themselves before being overcome by smoke and dialling 999.
Four fire engines and 20 firefighters from Holloway, Kentish Town and Islington fire stations attended the incident and managed to bring the fire under control by 3.45am, preventing it from damaging any other parts of the stadium in Holloway.
Part of the ground floor kitchen was left damaged and the two security guards were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but did not require hospital treatment.
Watch Manager Surjit Singh, from Kentish Town fire station, who was in charge of the incident, said: "A fire alarm alerted a couple of security guards to the fire who went to investigate. Initially they attempted to deal with it themselves but quickly realised they needed our help and rang 999.
You may also want to watch:
"Firefighters were on the scene within minutes of being called, and even though a couple of them are Spurs fans, they all worked really hard to bring the fire under control and managed to prevent it from affecting other parts of the stadium. From a fire brigade perspective it was a job well done."
Fire investigators were called to establish how the fire started and the cause is thought to have been accidental.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'Gooner legend' who died of Covid 'caught at Euros final'
- 2 Appeal for information after boy, 15, stabbed in back
- 3 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 4 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 5 Second man charged with murder of Taylor Cox in Islington
- 6 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 7 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 8 In pictures: Pond-dipping, singing and mindfulness at Gillespie Park fun day
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park