Fire at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium
Flames tore through part of Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium in the early hours of this morning.
Two security guards discovered the blaze in a kitchen at around 2am and initially tried to tackle the flames themselves before being overcome by smoke and dialling 999.
Four fire engines and 20 firefighters from Holloway, Kentish Town and Islington fire stations attended the incident and managed to bring the fire under control by 3.45am, preventing it from damaging any other parts of the stadium in Holloway.
Part of the ground floor kitchen was left damaged and the two security guards were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but did not require hospital treatment.
Watch Manager Surjit Singh, from Kentish Town fire station, who was in charge of the incident, said: "A fire alarm alerted a couple of security guards to the fire who went to investigate. Initially they attempted to deal with it themselves but quickly realised they needed our help and rang 999.
You may also want to watch:
"Firefighters were on the scene within minutes of being called, and even though a couple of them are Spurs fans, they all worked really hard to bring the fire under control and managed to prevent it from affecting other parts of the stadium. From a fire brigade perspective it was a job well done."
Fire investigators were called to establish how the fire started and the cause is thought to have been accidental.
- 1 London elections 2021: Latest results as they come in live
- 2 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 3 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 4 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 5 Controversial plan to sell alcohol in Finsbury Park dropped
- 6 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 7 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 8 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 9 900-year-old Farringdon market can continue despite opposition
- 10 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir