Search

‘Don’t be a hero’ – fire chiefs warning after Canonbury flat fire

PUBLISHED: 08:20 29 August 2018 | UPDATED: 08:39 29 August 2018

The fire in Mitchison Road was caused by a candle setting fire to a bed. Picture: London Fire Brigade

The fire in Mitchison Road was caused by a candle setting fire to a bed. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

Fire chiefs have warned people not to try and be a hero after three flatmates tried to tackle a blaze in their Canonbury home.

A man woke on Monday night to see flames at the end of his bed, before a smoke alarm went off and he told his flatmates about the fire.

They tried to put it out themselves and the brigade was called by a neighbour.

When they failed to extinguish the fire they left the flat.

Watch manager Mel Anderson said: “Crews worked really hard to bring the fire under control quickly and they contained the fire to the room of origin.

“It is vitally important you do not attempt to tackle fires yourselves. Leave it to professionals. As soon as you become aware of a fire in your home, get out, stay out and call 999.”

All three people from the flat were treated by medics for smoke inhalation and one was taken to hospital.

The brigade was called just after 11.30pm and the fire was under control by 1.05pm. Four engines and 25 firefighters attended.

Most Read

Latest from the Islington Gazette

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists