‘Don’t be a hero’ – fire chiefs warning after Canonbury flat fire
- Credit: Archant
Fire chiefs have warned people not to try and be a hero after three flatmates tried to tackle a blaze in their Canonbury home.
A man woke on Monday night to see flames at the end of his bed, before a smoke alarm went off and he told his flatmates about the fire.
They tried to put it out themselves and the brigade was called by a neighbour.
When they failed to extinguish the fire they left the flat.
Watch manager Mel Anderson said: “Crews worked really hard to bring the fire under control quickly and they contained the fire to the room of origin.
You may also want to watch:
“It is vitally important you do not attempt to tackle fires yourselves. Leave it to professionals. As soon as you become aware of a fire in your home, get out, stay out and call 999.”
All three people from the flat were treated by medics for smoke inhalation and one was taken to hospital.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The brigade was called just after 11.30pm and the fire was under control by 1.05pm. Four engines and 25 firefighters attended.