Fire destroys flat on Seven Sisters Road
- Credit: Michelle Goldberg
A fire which broke out on the first floor of a block of flats near Finsbury Park is believed to have been caused by the unsafe use of a candle.
The bedsit was completely destroyed by the fire on the morning of December 13, which meant 153 residents were evacuated from temporary accommodation at Seven Sisters Road's The Royal Park Hotel as fire alarms rang out.
One resident living below the flat, Michelle Goldberg, told the Gazette: "Residents were woken up as the alarm went off and then staff banged on their doors, shouting, as [we] were ushered quickly out of the building and onto the street.
"Most [were] still in their pyjamas and dressing gowns with their children and carrying their babies."
She said four fire trucks arrived quickly at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) reports it was called at 8.21am and the fire was under control by 9.52am.
Fire crews from Holloway, Stoke Newington and Islington fire stations attended the scene.
- 1 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 2 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 7 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 8 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 9 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 10 Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus led one woman from a third-floor bedsit to safety using a fire escape hood and she was treated on the scene by ambulance crews after suffering smoke inhalation.
The hostel, is leased and managed by Hackney council.
A council spokesperson said that the fire was contained to one room where it caused 30 per cent fire damage.
They added: "We are supporting the two residents affected to move into alternative accommodation.
"The security guards and hostel managers were commended by the LFB for their evacuation practices. No-one was injured."
Firefighters urge people to take precautions when using candles, incense and oil burners.
Firefighters’ candle safety top tips
- Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
- These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
- Keep them away from materials that might catch fire, including curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
- Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers.
- Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
- To avoid accidents, keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.
- LED candles can be a great alternative – they're safe even if you fall asleep.