Fire tears through Finsbury shop
More than 150 people had to be evacuated from a youth hostel when a fire broke out in a shop underneath overnight.
Four fire crews were called to the scene in Central Street, Finsbury, at around 10.15pm last night and found a blaze in the City Road Supermarket on the ground floor of the nine storey building in flames.
They quickly managed to contain the blaze and no other floors were affected by the fire, which was out within an hour-and-a-half.
One man was treated for smoke inhalation and police put road closures in place.
The cause is under investigation but is not being treated as suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
An eye witness said the shop owner turned up as the firefighters tackled the fire.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream