‘I thought it might blow up’: Firefighters extinguish smouldering sign outside Newington Green business
- Credit: Archant
Firefighter broke down a door to extinguish the smoke “pouring” from behind a Newington Green shop sign this afternoon.
The London Fire Brigade are still at the scene outside Turkish baklava patisserie Antepliler and cordons are in place either side of the Green Lanes shop.
The Brigade are investigating how the fire started.
Dell Sigh lives a few buildings down but his smoke alarm still went off and he could smell burning from his flat.
He told the Gazette: "It was unbelievable, I thought that sign might even blow up the smoke was so bad. It took them about 20 minutes just to break down the door."
You may also want to watch:
Ahmet Ustunsurmeli, whose owned the business since 1993, said: "They think it [the fire] started behind the sign but the investigation team is here."
Begum Tezcan, who works at the shop, added: "We were sitting inside. We made breakfast and it was smoking everywhere, after I'm calling [the Brigade]."
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
Micha Blue, who lives above in a flat above the store, said her flat "filled up with smoke" from the sign.