First GCSE results day at North Bridge House Canonbury produces one of country’s top performers
A school which celebrated its first set of GCSE results since opening in 2014 has produced one of the top performing students in the country.
North Bridge House student Francesco De Batte gained a full set of A* grades across Spanish, Italian, biology, chemistry, Mandarin, computer science, French, geography and physics, and three 9s in the newly-graded core subjects.
This makes him one of only 2,000 students in England to get 9s in English, English literature and maths, the equivalent of an A* under the new system. He said: “I really didn’t expect this outcome with the new grading system – I am so pleased.”
Overall, 41pc of students bagged A* or A grades, with six grade 9 – the equivalent of an A* – grades awarded across the cohort for English and maths.
Jonathan Taylor, who is head of North Bridge House Canonbury, said: “I am delighted with what we have achieved in our first set of GCSE results here at Canonbury.
You may also want to watch:
“It is down to the dedication of our passionate teaching staff and the hard work of our students that we have seen such impressive outcomes. I very much look forward to welcoming many of our students back to Canonbury this September to commence their A-level studies.”
Another star performer was Georgia Prentice, who gained A*s in drama, history and physics and As in biology and chemistry, as well as a 9 in English literature and 8s in English language and maths.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade