First GCSE results day at North Bridge House Canonbury produces one of country’s top performers
A school which celebrated its first set of GCSE results since opening in 2014 has produced one of the top performing students in the country.
North Bridge House student Francesco De Batte gained a full set of A* grades across Spanish, Italian, biology, chemistry, Mandarin, computer science, French, geography and physics, and three 9s in the newly-graded core subjects.
This makes him one of only 2,000 students in England to get 9s in English, English literature and maths, the equivalent of an A* under the new system. He said: “I really didn’t expect this outcome with the new grading system – I am so pleased.”
Overall, 41pc of students bagged A* or A grades, with six grade 9 – the equivalent of an A* – grades awarded across the cohort for English and maths.
Jonathan Taylor, who is head of North Bridge House Canonbury, said: “I am delighted with what we have achieved in our first set of GCSE results here at Canonbury.
You may also want to watch:
“It is down to the dedication of our passionate teaching staff and the hard work of our students that we have seen such impressive outcomes. I very much look forward to welcoming many of our students back to Canonbury this September to commence their A-level studies.”
Another star performer was Georgia Prentice, who gained A*s in drama, history and physics and As in biology and chemistry, as well as a 9 in English literature and 8s in English language and maths.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series