Fish Central boss ‘embodied Islington’s community spirit’ by offering homeless man job
- Credit: Archant
An Old Street restaurateur offered a homeless man living in a tent in Stockwell a job after hearing about his situation on the radio.
George Hussein, who has run Fish Central in King Square, Finsbury, for the past 50 years, was listening to Leading Britain’s Conversation (LBC) last week when Carlos, who didn’t give his last name, called in to explain how he recently became homeless.
Carlos, who moved to Britain from Portugal in 2001, had been working as a mechanic until his contract expired. He ran out of savings in three weeks and was forced to start sleeping rough in Stockwell.
After George called in to offer him a job, Carlos said: “I’m so happy my friend. Thank you, that’s amazing.
“People like me don’t need to be judged. It’s beautiful that someone saw a person in a bad position and they helped that person.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Troy Gallagher (Lab, Bunhill) said: “George [has] embodied Islington’s community spirit with their offer to employ Carlos.
“Homelessness can happen to anyone, and we have all seen the dramatic rise in homelessness since 2010, as Tory austerity and welfare reforms have left people without anywhere to turn.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 4 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
“In these difficult times, I’m so proud that George [has] stepped forward to offer employment to Carlos to work at Fish Central - It really demonstrates what a wonderful welcoming borough Islington is.”