Food waste lunch club aims to unite Finsbury Park communities
- Credit: Archant
A charity that uses food waste to feed deprived communities is launching a new lunch club in Finsbury Park this weekend.
FoodCycle uses surpluses from supermarkets and shops to serve free three-course meals. The scheme runs in 30 places across the country, and is coming to Finsbury Park Community Hub in Corker Walk on Saturday.
Robyn Stone, manager of the weekly scheme, said: “Finsbury Park is an area of high deprivation, so a lot of people are in need of a free meals service – but also something that brings the community together.
“We really want it to be a hub for the community where families can bring their children along, and where they can share a warm, friendly meal.
“We’ve got people from Somalia, English people and also people from different parts of Asia so I think the project will be a great opportunity to bring them together.
You may also want to watch:
“It would be amazing if we had the opportunity for people to bring their traditional styles of cooking into the FoodCycle meals.”
As well as free grub, FoodCycle volunteers will also point out other useful services on offer.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 9 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 10 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
Robyn added: “The community centre that we’re operating in is really vibrant. The staff got what we were about and really wanted to have our service there, so it seemed like a great partnership.”
For more information about Finsbury Park FoodCycle, and to sign up as a volunteer or supplier, visit foodcycle.org.uk/location/finsbury-park