Food waste lunch club aims to unite Finsbury Park communities
- Credit: Archant
A charity that uses food waste to feed deprived communities is launching a new lunch club in Finsbury Park this weekend.
FoodCycle uses surpluses from supermarkets and shops to serve free three-course meals. The scheme runs in 30 places across the country, and is coming to Finsbury Park Community Hub in Corker Walk on Saturday.
Robyn Stone, manager of the weekly scheme, said: “Finsbury Park is an area of high deprivation, so a lot of people are in need of a free meals service – but also something that brings the community together.
“We really want it to be a hub for the community where families can bring their children along, and where they can share a warm, friendly meal.
“We’ve got people from Somalia, English people and also people from different parts of Asia so I think the project will be a great opportunity to bring them together.
You may also want to watch:
“It would be amazing if we had the opportunity for people to bring their traditional styles of cooking into the FoodCycle meals.”
As well as free grub, FoodCycle volunteers will also point out other useful services on offer.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Robyn added: “The community centre that we’re operating in is really vibrant. The staff got what we were about and really wanted to have our service there, so it seemed like a great partnership.”
For more information about Finsbury Park FoodCycle, and to sign up as a volunteer or supplier, visit foodcycle.org.uk/location/finsbury-park