Finsbury Park surplus food charity volunteers win award for ‘outstanding’ quality of meals
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers from a Finsbury Park charity that uses surplus food to cook for people in need have scoooped an award for their “outstanding” meals.
Diners at FoodCycle often remark that the quality of the dishes makes them feel like they have eaten at a high-end restaurant. But the ingredients used are all taken from supermarkets, retailers and charities who have no use for them.
The volunteer chefs, who run the project at the Finsbury Park Community Hub on the Andover Estate, saw off competition from 37 other FoodCycle centres around the UK to take home the Michelin Stars Award at the annual conference this month. There to pick up the prize were team members Anna Coundley, Jennifer Dickson and Chris Sim.
Two members of the team also won Outstanding Volunteer Awards. Peter Bradley and Chris received special recognition for the work they have done to keep the project running throughout the year.
Peter said: “It’s always nice to be recognised by your peers but when you understand what our guests have to endure – sometimes not knowing where their next meal is coming from – you genuinely get great pleasure from cooking and being creative. Why wouldn’t you be keen to volunteer?
You may also want to watch:
“The whole team is such a dedicated bunch and the best bit is we have such fun making the world a better place. We are very lucky to have a very cosmopolitan bunch of guests who really enjoy what we create.”
Matt Fazal, FoodCycle’s London chief, added: “Each week, the Finsbury Park team produce food of outstanding quality. Guests feedback often comments on how the presentation and flavour makes them feel like they are at a high-end restaurant and a round of applause after meals is not uncommon. The team go above and beyond to ensure their meals are a truly special experience for their guests.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
FoodCycle Finsbury Park serve a delicious three-course meal every Saturday lunchtime and invite anyone looking to volunteer or enjoy a meal to come.
To sign up as a volunteer, visit volunteer.foodcycle.org.uk.