Jack Wilshere – Joining West Ham feels special as former Arsenal midfielder signs for Irons
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Former Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has joined West Ham on a three-year deal
Wilshere signed for the Irons – the club he supported as a boy along with his father Andy – after his Gunners contract expired at the end of last month.
The Hitchin-reared midfielder who burst onto the scene as a fresh-faced 16-year-old posted on social media at the end of June that, after a meeting with new boss Unai Emery, he decided to leave the North London giants.
Wilshere and his representatives had been talking on and off with Arsenal for more than 12 months – but neither party could reach an agreement to sign a contract extension.
It is understood Arsenal had offered him in the region of £85,000 per week, plus a heavily incentivised package based upon future appearances.
You may also want to watch:
However, with Wilshere seeing his midfield colleague Mesut Oxzil awarded £350,000 per week, representatives for the England international – once hailed by Pep Guardiola in a Champions League match against his Barcelona charges in 2011 – wanted more, although, nowhere near the amount Ozil is receiving.
Wilshere said on Monday afternoon upon joining the East Londoners: “It feels special. Many people know that I’ve had a special bond with this club growing up.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
“I’ve got good memories of my childhood supporting West Ham, watching them at Upton Park.”