Former Arsenal keeper secures Madrid move
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Atletico Madrid have announced the signing of Pauline Peyraud-Magnin on a two-year contract from Arsenal.
Peyraud-Magnin’s deal in north London expired last month, after limited game time during the 2019-20 season.
The Frenchwoman only featured three times for the Gunners during the shortented campaign, playing 270 minutes in total before the competition ended with immediate effect due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Atletico Madrid are still in the UEFA Women’s Champions League and will face FC Barcelona in the quarter-final next month, however Peyraud-Magnin will not be eligible for it.
Peyraud-Magnin replaced European goalkeeper of the year Sari Van Veenedaal in the starting line-up during Arsenal’s WSL title-winning season of 2018-19, keeping seven clean sheets in the process.
You may also want to watch:
During her time at the Gunners she became the only Frenchwoman to win the Women’s Super League title.
On signing for the Spanish giant’s she said: “I am proud to belong to one of the best teams in Europe, which has a very important history in both the men’s and women’s football.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 8 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
“I want to be part of the future of this club and contribute my experience, work and professionalism. I am a very hard-working player, with a lot of motivation and who wants to improve day by day.
“I am proud and I can’t wait to play with my new colors. I would give everything for this club and for supporting it! See you soon on the soccer fields.”
It leaves Arsenal with Manuela Zinsberger and Fran Stenson as goalkeeping options but there is another keeper on their way into the club.