French international Oliver Giroud leaves Arsenal for Chelsea
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Frenchman Oliver Giroud has left Arsenal to join Premier League rivals Chelsea for a fee of around £18 million.
The striker’s move from north to west London was confirmed hours after the Gunners completed a club-record transfer for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Borussia Dortmund.
Giroud joined Arsenal in the summer of 2012 after two seasons with Ligue 1 side Montpellier, where he scored 39 goals in 85 appearances.
The 31-year-old has fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal and has been restricted to just one Premier league start this season.
He came on for the final 15 minutes of their 3-1 loss last night (Tuesday) but couldn’t help the club for one last time.
You may also want to watch:
Giroud leaves the Emirates Stadium after scoring 105 goals in 253 appearances for the Gunners.
The striker becomes Chelsea’s third signing of the window, joining midfielder Ross Barkley and left-back Emerson Palmieri at Stamford Bridge, and will wear the number 18 shirt.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller