Fun for all at Islington Christmas light switch-ons
- Credit: Archant
Christmas lights switch-on events will bring festive cheer across Islington this month – with each one offering something slightly different.
Each event will include live music and several hours of entertainment, plus face-painting and activities for children.
The Nag’s Head event will be a slightly scaled-down affair this year, with street entertainment and funfair rides.
Father Christmas will be paying a special visit to children in Archway and Caldeonian Road, and at the latter event there will also be an array of market stalls and craft activities, live music, nibbles and a children’s fancy dress competition in a “winter wonderland” theme.
At the Finsbury Park event, which took place last night in Fonthill Road, youngsters got creative preparing costumes for a switch-on parade.
You may also want to watch:
At Highbury Barn the lights will be switched on by Deputy Mayor Cllr Kat Fletcher alongside carol singing, an event organised by former councillor Terry Stacy.
At Tufnell Park, community panto dame Dan Jacob will flip the switch.
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 5 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 6 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 7 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 8 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
Cllr Asima Shaikh, executive member for economic and community development, said: “The Christmas lights celebrations are always a sparkling highlight in the calendar of our town centres – and this year they offer something for everyone.
“I would like to thank the local businesses and voluntary groups who give their time and money to help turn these wonderful festive events into reality.”
As well as the light switch-ons there will also be late-night shopping in Angel and a Christmas Market in Islington Green to look forward to.
- Wednesday, November 25 – Finsbury Park (Fonthill Road), 3pm-8pm;
- Thursday, November 26 – Nag’s Head (outside Nag’s Head shopping centre), 3pm-8pm
- Thursday, November 26 - Late night shopping in Angel with special offers along Camden Passage and Upper Street
- Friday, November 27 – Archway (Archway Mall), 3pm-8pm
- Saturday, November 28 – Caledonian Road (Tilloch Street), 10am-5pm
- Sunday, November 29 – Highbury Barn Square, from 5.30pm
- Wednesday, December 2 – Tufnell Park Road/Campdale Road. from 4pm
The lights will be switched on at 4.30pm at each event - except for Caledonian Road, which takes place at 5pm.
- Friday, December 4-20 - Christmas Market in Islington Green (10am-6pm) plus a Santa’s grotto.