Fun for all at Islington Christmas light switch-ons
- Credit: Archant
Christmas lights switch-on events will bring festive cheer across Islington this month – with each one offering something slightly different.
Each event will include live music and several hours of entertainment, plus face-painting and activities for children.
The Nag’s Head event will be a slightly scaled-down affair this year, with street entertainment and funfair rides.
Father Christmas will be paying a special visit to children in Archway and Caldeonian Road, and at the latter event there will also be an array of market stalls and craft activities, live music, nibbles and a children’s fancy dress competition in a “winter wonderland” theme.
At the Finsbury Park event, which took place last night in Fonthill Road, youngsters got creative preparing costumes for a switch-on parade.
At Highbury Barn the lights will be switched on by Deputy Mayor Cllr Kat Fletcher alongside carol singing, an event organised by former councillor Terry Stacy.
At Tufnell Park, community panto dame Dan Jacob will flip the switch.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 5 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 8 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 9 Michael Palin Christmas carol fundraiser to support children who stammer
- 10 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
Cllr Asima Shaikh, executive member for economic and community development, said: “The Christmas lights celebrations are always a sparkling highlight in the calendar of our town centres – and this year they offer something for everyone.
“I would like to thank the local businesses and voluntary groups who give their time and money to help turn these wonderful festive events into reality.”
As well as the light switch-ons there will also be late-night shopping in Angel and a Christmas Market in Islington Green to look forward to.
- Wednesday, November 25 – Finsbury Park (Fonthill Road), 3pm-8pm;
- Thursday, November 26 – Nag’s Head (outside Nag’s Head shopping centre), 3pm-8pm
- Thursday, November 26 - Late night shopping in Angel with special offers along Camden Passage and Upper Street
- Friday, November 27 – Archway (Archway Mall), 3pm-8pm
- Saturday, November 28 – Caledonian Road (Tilloch Street), 10am-5pm
- Sunday, November 29 – Highbury Barn Square, from 5.30pm
- Wednesday, December 2 – Tufnell Park Road/Campdale Road. from 4pm
The lights will be switched on at 4.30pm at each event - except for Caledonian Road, which takes place at 5pm.
- Friday, December 4-20 - Christmas Market in Islington Green (10am-6pm) plus a Santa’s grotto.