Furious residents say they are being ‘ripped off’ over caretaking charges
�Residents in Barnsbury have launched a campaign against the housing company that charges them �25 an hour for caretakers who are then paid less than half that amount.
People who live in Thornhill Houses, off Thornhill Road, were charged �25.46 for every hour caretaking work was done on their estate last year.
But Homes for Islington, (HfI) which manages the estate, paid its caretaking staff a maximum of �12.30 per hour, meaning it got �12.70 extra for every hour of work – it is claimed.
With 45,000 hours of caretaking commissioned each year from HfI’s Lyon Street housing office, the company are accused of taking more than �500,000 every 12 months more than it is paying the staff – but it insists the money is spent on other related costs.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Cain, chairman of the Thornhill Houses tenants’ association, said: “It’s outright thievery. I got a professional quote and they told me �9 per hour.
“HfI rip us off over everything. To begin with everyone was really upset, but now it’s a battle.”
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
A spokesman for HfI said: “The charge to leaseholders for the caretaking service is based on the actual cost of delivering the service.
“The charge is made up of the caretakers’ salary including costs, equipment, materials and management costs relating to the caretaking service.
“Tenant management organisations (TMO) calculate their leaseholder service charges on the same basis as HfI.
“There are 25 independent TMOs within the borough with varying costs for this service.”
n Mr Cain asks anyone interested in joining the campaign to leave their details at www.thtara.org/home/contact-us.