Furious residents say they are being ‘ripped off’ over caretaking charges
�Residents in Barnsbury have launched a campaign against the housing company that charges them �25 an hour for caretakers who are then paid less than half that amount.
People who live in Thornhill Houses, off Thornhill Road, were charged �25.46 for every hour caretaking work was done on their estate last year.
But Homes for Islington, (HfI) which manages the estate, paid its caretaking staff a maximum of �12.30 per hour, meaning it got �12.70 extra for every hour of work – it is claimed.
With 45,000 hours of caretaking commissioned each year from HfI’s Lyon Street housing office, the company are accused of taking more than �500,000 every 12 months more than it is paying the staff – but it insists the money is spent on other related costs.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Cain, chairman of the Thornhill Houses tenants’ association, said: “It’s outright thievery. I got a professional quote and they told me �9 per hour.
“HfI rip us off over everything. To begin with everyone was really upset, but now it’s a battle.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 7 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
A spokesman for HfI said: “The charge to leaseholders for the caretaking service is based on the actual cost of delivering the service.
“The charge is made up of the caretakers’ salary including costs, equipment, materials and management costs relating to the caretaking service.
“Tenant management organisations (TMO) calculate their leaseholder service charges on the same basis as HfI.
“There are 25 independent TMOs within the borough with varying costs for this service.”
n Mr Cain asks anyone interested in joining the campaign to leave their details at www.thtara.org/home/contact-us.