Gael Clichy joins Manchester City from Arsenal for �7m
Frenchman heads north - but will he be followed by Samir Nasri?
Gael Clichy has undergone a medical at Manchester City today and will join the club from Arsenal for a transfer of around �7m.
The 25-year-old France international had one year left on his contract at the Emirates, but made it clear he was not going to sign a new one this summer so Arsenal cashed in on the player to avoid losing him for nothing on a Bosman free transfer in a year’s time.
The French left-back thus ends an eight-year association with the Gunners, having signed from AS Cannes in 2003.
He won a Premier League winners’ medal the following year after playing in Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ team in his first season at the club. At the age of 18 he became the youngest player to win a title medal.
You may also want to watch:
Arsene Wenger said: “We would like to thank Gael for eight years of terrific service to Arsenal, during which time he gave absolutely everything for the club. He has grown and developed so much since joining us in 2003, and has been a crucial part of the team over recent seasons. Gael leaves with our respect and best wishes. We wish him the very best for his future career.”
Clichy said: “I have had eight fantastic years at Arsenal and made many friends. I have so many great memories from my time at Highbury and Emirates Stadium. I would like to say thank you to everyone at Arsenal for all of their support and friendship. I also want to send a big thank you to all the Arsenal supporters, who have always been so good to me.”
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
It now remains to be seen whether or not City will follow up their interest in Clichy’s France and Arsenal team-mate Samir Nasri, with the Eastlands club thought to be ready with a �20m offer.
The Gunners depart for a mini-tour of Malaysia and China on Sunday, and Nasri is expected to be part of that squad.