Gardeners gear-up for Islington in Bloom
- Credit: Archant
Green-fingered gardeners, schools, community groups and businesses across Islington are arming themselves with trimmers and shovels for a chance to be in the running for the borough’s most coveted horticultural prizes.
Islington’s best gardens are little over a month away and excitement is flowering as we gear up for Islington in Bloom.
Prizes for best children’s planting, best blooming pub or business and best community garden are among the 11 categories available to enter.
Everyone who takes part will get a half price plant, a free bag of compost and a £5 gift voucher courtesy of Camden Garden Centre. Prizes of up to £100 in garden centre vouchers are also up for grabs in each category.
And, for the first time, cultivators will be able to enter their own gardens or nominate others online as well as by post.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Bedford, Islington Council’s parks and open space manager, said: “The competition is meant to make the borough a more colourful place by tapping into the skills of the people who live and work here.”
Go to islington.gov.uk/inbloom for more information. Entries must be submitted before May 29.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 5 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 6 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Virtual carnival, theatre and art: What's on this weekend in Islington and Hackney
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing